Since I started teaching yoga in the workplace and listening to feedback from students, I have seen the positive benefits these classes can bring about. Improved wellbeing, mental clarity and reduced stress are just to name a few.
It’s a busy world we live in today, with increasing demands on employers and employees alike. We work long hours, often hunched over a computer. We skip meals, keep a phone glued to our ear, and rarely leave our workspace for a break. Before long, these work habits begin to take their toll on our bodies and minds in the form of stress, tension and sickness. And while a mild amount of stress can help us meet deadlines, too much stress, or constant stress, can interfere with numerous physical and mental abilities. How we respond to stress can have a significant impact on our total health.
Yoga can remove stress from the body and mind and consequently improve health.
It is becoming increasingly popular in the workplace. Many companies now recognize the value of yoga and are offering classes to their employees as part of their stress reduction and corporate wellness programs during the workday. Offering Yoga to their employees is a low-cost, preventive and holistic healthcare measure, making the discipline a resonating success with human resource teams looking for strategic returns on their wellness investments.
According to Yoga Journal, such companies include Chase Manhattan Bank, Forbes, HBO, GE, Wall Street brokerage firms, and dozens of Fortune 500’s like Nike, Apple, Harpo, Motorola, Google, Forbes, and General Motors.
Here’s an interesting article! Have a look what Forbes says about corporate wellness:
Whether self-employed, a small-business owner or a large corporate, both the business and its employees (even if that’s just you) will benefit by incorporating yoga into your daily work routine and wellness program.
Benefits of Corporate Yoga for EMPLOYEES:
• Reduces stress, anxiety and fatigue
• Reduces muscle tension and pain
• Increases energy and vitality
• Improves memory, mental clarity and concentration
• Improves posture, muscle tone and flexibility
• Improves overall health, resulting in less sick-days and absences
• Reduces back, neck and shoulder pain
• Increases motivation and efficiency
• Improves morale in the workplace
* improved the ability to keep a cool head under stressful situations
* improved self-confidence and success rates
Benefits of Corporate Yoga for COMPANIES:
• Increased productivity
• Decreased health care premiums
• Reduced staff turnover
• Reduced employee absenteeism
• Higher job satisfaction amongst employees
• More attractive to potential employees seeking employment with your company
• Reduced corporate healthcare costs
• Support the general well-being and atmosphere in the workplace
• Help employees develop professional relationships with one another and improve communication
"If you have happy, healthy employees, that has an impact on staff motivation, engagement and retention," says Dianne Hol, director of HR at healthcare company Roche.
I believe in the power of yoga to improve people’s relationship with their minds and bodies, and hope to encourage employers to bring some wellbeing throughout yoga to their business and employees to use this opportunity for improving their mental and physical health.
As for me, I also found that holding classes in the workplace brings me extra satisfaction and extends my own practice and experience. Building close relationships with regular students is one of the greatest perks of being a workplace yoga teacher.
If you’d like me to come and teach at your workplace, please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 021629565.